Monday, August 20, 2012

Earring Board Tutorial! DIY

      So for several years now I have had a terrible but convenient way of storing all my earrings. I was keeping them in a pencil box but as my collection has been growing it has made finding a matching set in the pencil box nearly impossible! I had been brainstorming for a while to find a way to store them but also display my collection and keep it neat, organized and easy to find. Last night I finally bit the bullet and made myself an Earring Board, and I must say I am super duper excited about it! 

Here is the finished product, hanging and adorned with my collection!
So to make this you really don't need much at all.
and it was a pretty cheap project. 

1. A cheap bulletin board, any size you want (mine was a 16" x 22")
2. Fabric of your choice ( I bought a yard, and had plenty left over!) 
                               3. Ribbon of your choice (I only had to buy one spool)       
                               4. Scissors
                               5. hot glue gun and glue sticks

My total cost would be:

                                                                    board  =   $5
                                                   +     yard of fabric =   $6    
                                                   +              Ribbon  =  $2 
                                               __________________________
                                                                TOTAL  =  $13

All the material I used (minus the scissors)
Notice Dusk in the corner, he was excited for craft time! 
The fabric I used to cover my board
To start the board you will need to measure the dimensions of the cork part of the board, then cut a piece of fabric this is about 1" longer on each side. 

(Ex: My cork was 15" x 21" so my fabric was cut in a rectangle of 17" by 23" )

Next you need to fold the extra inch of fabric back and glue it down to create a smooth solid edge that won't fray on each side of the rectangle. 

Following that run a small line of hot glue along the inner edge of the frame and slide the solid edge of the fabric into the glue so that it looks like it is inside the frame. (it is best to do the small lines in sections, and make sure the fabric is pulled tight!) 

Once the fabric is glued smooth to the inner edge of all four sides of the frame it is time to add the ribbon to the board to hold the dangle earrings. 

Start by measuring and marking where you want the ribbons to be placed on the board (there are three ribbons on my board and they are placed 4" apart.)

Once you have that marked you need to mark where you want to glue your ribbon down to create ruffles that will hold your earrings. (I marked my fabric in 1" increments, I would not recommend doing any smaller) 


My board with the marks, see they are  about 1" apart
Once you mark off the places you want to glue go to town, first glue one end of the ribbon to the inner edge of the frame, then place dots of glue on your marks and place your ribbon on the glue (be sure to add a little ruffle between each glue spot so that you have a spot for your backs to hang on.) Finish the ribbon by gluing the other end to the inner edge of the frame.

Here is my finished product! 
    When I started the board I didn't leave a ruffle between the glue spaces so my first ribbon (the bottom one) was too tight to fit earrings into so I used it as boarder for where my stud earrings were going to be placed and hung my dangle earrings on the other two ribbons, but you could easily make the bottom ribbon ruffled as well.

      Now its finished, all you need to do is add your earring collection to the board, and hang it on the wall!

   
All my dangle Earrings fit, and look organized!!!!
Amazing! 
I put all my earrings on my board before I hung it, and I also used a push pin to create holes for my stud earrings so that I wouldn't break the posts of them trying to get them in the board. 

Notice all my studs are on the bottom, below the last ribbon
and at the top I have all my hoops and earrings with odd closures held up
with push pins. 

Here is a photo of the finished product of my board on the wall!
     I absolutely love the board and I am so happy with the final product! I must say it is soooooo nice not digging through a pencil box to find the right pair of earrings. Not to mention it is so much easier to see my options this way too!

      I hope this inspires you to make one as well! It was super cheap and soooo CUTE!

Peace, Love and Doggie Hugs!
-Stacey 

No comments:

Post a Comment