Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

    Cole and I  both took last Friday off so we could enjoy a long very long weekend together with several of our friends. Dusk and I drove down to Columbia on Thursday night. When we got to Cole's we quickly rushed downtown to enjoy a dinner at Brioso's. There is a Brioso's in Clemson and it is probably my favorite restraunt there, so I was very excited to learn one had opened up down in Columbia so Cole and I decided to try it out. I must say I was not as impressed with the one in Columbia. Cole and I always order the same thing. The bread that came with the meal seemed stale and it was cold, and any time we had it in Clemson it was fantastic, fresh and warm. The mozzerella sticks were delicious but the pasta was just alright, Cole's pasta sauce was a bit on the oily side. I think since the one in Columbia just opened up it is still trying to get its bearings, I would like to eat there again in about a month and give it another try. After we went to dinner we had a movie night with my friend Fitz and her boyfriend for her birthday. We were originally going to go bowling but the lame bowling ally decided to close at 10:30 that night so we weren't able to go.

     Friday morning Cole and I got up bright and early to head to our friends' house to load up their jeep and trailer and get on the road. We spent the weekend camping in Mortimer, NC. Mortimer used to be an old mill town in the 1800s, and some of the ruins of the town is still standing. The town flooded from the river, and the town decided to rebuild, the town was flooded again and the towns people decided after the second flood to abandon the town.The campground we stayed at was on the river that floods really bad when it rains, Thank god we had amazing weather all weekend.  During our weekend we got to see some lovely views of mountains including Mt. Mitchell and Linville Falls. We ate at some cute little local restaurants, enjoyed the river, explored trails and the ruins of the old town of mortimer near camp and visited some adorable mountain towns. It was a very relaxing and fun trip with great friends. I am very glad that we were able to go!
The amazing view from Mt. Mitchell
and again, the beautiful blue ridge

I love the shadows the clouds cast on the mountain



Cole and I at Mount Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi River. 

There is a tomb at Mount Mitchell, the gentleman died while researching the surrounding area. 

My cute boy, before we headed up to see the gorge. 

Linville Gorge, it was so peaceful and gorgeous. 

We could see for miles.... 
I love the mountains cause of this right here, amazing views


Cole and I at the Linville Gorge

Our friends, Burgundy and Larry  


Our friends, Brooks and Andrea with their sweet pup Roxie

Linville Falls
Linville Falls 
Linville Falls
Cole and Me in front of the falls. 

another view of Linville Falls
(if you look at the top right you can see the smaller falls that were in the photos above.)

Linville Falls

Linville Falls and the surrounding mountains. 



No comments:

Post a Comment