Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Poker Run

        This weekend Dusk and I packed up our bags and took a long 3 hour trip to Clemson! It was a weekend full of friends, jeeps and fun. Cole came up and met us at my apartment in Clemson on Friday night. Saturday was the big Poker Run!

       Dusk and I actually had two types of runs on Saturday. Dusk and I got up at 6:30 am and ran from my apartment to campus which is roughly a 3 mile run. Dusk and I have been running for the past few months and it is amazing how far we have come. We used to only run about half a mile and I would be out of breath. My goal when I started running was to do an actual 5k run, and I wanted to test my limits and know I could do it before I signed up for one. So Saturday morning was our test, Dusk and I both made it, without walking and without dying! But in all seriousness I am glad I did it and I plan on running a legitimate 5k soon.

      When Dusk and I got done with our run Cole was nice enough to come pick us up so we could go shower and meet up with our group of friends for breakfast. We met at Chick-fil-a, enjoyed a tasty breakfast then moseyed on down to the Clemson 4 Wheel Center. Clemson 4 Wheel Center is the Offroad shop in Clemson that hosted the Poker Run. We registered and talked for a while and eventually got on the road to the first stop on the run.

      So basically the point of the poker run is there are 5 stops on the run, at each stop you get out and pull a card. The card you pull is marked on a score sheet you are given at the beginning of the day. So basically at the end of the day you have a full poker hand if you stop and pull a card at each stop. There were also two ways to get a wild card, the wild card could be any card you wanted and could replace any card in your hand. Only one person in each vehicle could get a wild card at each place. We also had to be back at the Clemson 4 Wheel Center by 5 pm.

     We had to go to all the stops including both the wild card stops so that all of us could have wild cards. One of the wild card stops was a geocache, and the other stop was a rock crawl. The geocache was of on a dirt/gravel trail so it was nice cause we got to actually do a little riding other than on a regular road, that can get old quick. The rock crawl stop was neat to watch other than the fact that one of the guys that was with us actually deflated one of his tires trying to climb it, and I got eaten up by some creepy bugs, but everyone got there wild card so it was worth it.

     We ended up getting back an hour early. We went and turned in our score sheet, I ended up with a straight after thinking I was going to have absolutely nothing. I had terrible luck, I seriously pulled the same card at 3 stops for a total count of 5 times, and it could only be counted once, so I had to redraw several times. It was insane. Cole only had a pair of aces, and neither of us won anything but one of the guys in our group had the best hand and he won a winch!

My little sweet, sleepy head

He was using our Yeti cooler to prop him up along the ride.

      This was the first time Dusk has been allowed to go on an offroading trip and I really think he enjoyed it a lot. He got a ton of attention, from both people and four legged friends. He and Roxie, another pup with our group, were pals all day. He even did well on the gravel trail we took for the wild card. He actually fell asleep a couple of times during the trip with his head propped up on top of the Yeti, which is the white thing in the photos of him. He and Roxie were both exhausted by the end of the day, so much so that they both were sprawled out on the pavement asleep at the end of the raffle. I am hoping that he will be allowed to come on some more trips with us now since he did so well!

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment