Tuesday, May 1, 2012

2012 Spring Offroad Festival

         Well this past weekend was insanely hectic! I drove between three different cities all in one weekend. My weekend started off by driving from Charlotte to good ole' Clemson, which is a good 2.5 to 3 hour drive. I fortunately was able to get off work around 2, so I made it to Clemson at a decent time. I drove to Clemson literally for just the night. I got there around 5, Nichole (my roommate since freshman year, and one of my best friends) and I got ready together and went to a graduation party for FIRST.
     
        note: [FIRST is a club at Clemson that I am a mentor for. It provides mentors and support to incoming freshman that are first generation college students. The mentors are all current juniors and seniors at Clemson that are first generation college students as well. It is a pretty neat program, it gives those freshman who are completely clueless a support system, and a family away from home.] 
      I am really glad I went, I got to see several people that I haven't seen in a very long time, and got to spend some quality time with Nichole. It is definitely weird to not be living with her right now, especially since we have been roommates the entire time we have been in college, and I will be glad to be back with her next semester! 

        After my rendezvous in Clemson I had to be up and out the door of our apartment there by 5:30 am, and on my way to Columbia which is a 2 hour drive...I'm sure you think I'm crazy!  I had two reasons that I had to be in Columbia by 8! My dog, Dusk, had a vet appointment Saturday...to get his teeth cleaned and get all his vaccines and such....and of course it was a drop off visit which means he had to be dropped of between 7:30 and 8:30 am. The other reason was I needed to be at the 2012 Spring Offroad Festival at 8 to help set up. Needless to say it was a crazy morning....and it got even crazier when I got pulled over on the way to Columbia for speeding! Thank gooooodness the state trooper that pulled me was very, very, very kind. I think its because Dusk charmed him! No seriously, the cop walked up to my car on the passenger side, and the first thing he asks is "will he bite?" after I said no, he asked for my license, registration, and where I was heading (in which I confessed I was taking Dusk to the vet) and then he kindly informed me that he was NOT going to right me a ticket! After all that I hurried on down the road to Columbia, got my poor pup dropped off at the vet and made it to the Offroad Festival in time. 
           The Offroad Festival is an Annual Even that the Cole's offroad club, Mid-Carolina Jeepers, holds to raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. This years festival included a show & shine with three different classes of vehicles based on their tire size, an RTI ramp, a teeter totter, a raffle and an RC crawler competition. Last year they raised $1500 and the goal this year was to break that amount. At the end of the day after tallying all the money up after all the events we learned that we did break the goal, and not by a little but by a whopping $300, we raised over $1,800 in less than 6 hours! It was truly a great time, I was fortunate enough to be given the task of photographer for the day so I have a ton of photos from the day.

The signs on the stage

Cole's Jeep flexing on his friends, with Cole's RC crawler flexing out on both the jeeps.  

The jeeps all lined up for the Show & Shine 

Two of the Event Staffers setting up one of the tents, Boys always have the best ideas...

The RC crawler course ready to be crawled

The RTI Ramp, This gentleman won his division for this competition. 

The Teeter Totter, the goal was to balance your vehicle like this (both end off the ground) for 10 seconds and they only had 5 minutes to do it. 

My cute boyfriend, Cole, working the event. 

More vehicles lined up for the Show & Shine. 

I couldn't resist this cute little fella was looking at all the jeeps when I was going around taking pictures, and he stopped to let me take on of him, he was too cute! 

         The event turned out to be great. The rest of the weekend was spend recovering. Dusk was recovering from his terrible vet visit, he was put under anesthesia so he was absolutely pitiful when I picked him up. I was recovering from my lack of sleep, but I still had time to visit family and spend time with Cole before Dusk and I packed up and headed back to Charlotte Sunday night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment