Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Healthy Mexican Rice

                      This weekend I spent a good bit of time surfing pintrest to get some healthy recipe ideas and I found quite a few. One was a recipe for healthy strawberry banana muffins, which I followed word for word on the recipe when I was making them, Which you can find here! I must say they turned out really good, and like the blog says they are super quick and easy to just grab a few as you're walking out the door. They also are pretty filling for me! The blog also says they keep well, which I have also found to be true so far. I made them Sunday and they still tasted the same this morning as they did when I made them.

                      Aside from the yummy muffin recipe, I kept seeing all kinds of Mexican recipes. All of which looked mouth watering, because I personally love Mexican food. Cole and I love it so much that we probably eat Mexican two to three times a week, well that was before we started to eat healthy. So needless to say I have been craving it like crazy.....so I decided to concoct a healthier Mexican dish, using some of the canned foods I already had in the kitchen.
Here is the Final Product
Mexican Rice

To make Mexican rice you need: 
-2/3 cups cooked brown rice
-a shredded chicken breast
-sauteed mushrooms (as much as you desire) 
-black beans, I used canned (as much as you desire) 
-yellow corn, I used canned ( again, as much as you desire) 
-shredded cheese 
- rotel
-black olives
-lettuce
-sour cream 

         Literally all you do to make it is, boil and cook the rice, then while your waiting on the rice to absorb the excess water boil and shred the chicken breast. Once the rice is done cooking place it on a plate, top it with the chicken, and sprinkle your desired amount of cheese on it. Then saute the mushrooms, heat the beans and corn up then begin layering all the yummy topping over the rice finishing it off with lettuce and sour cream. Andddd Enjoy!!!  It turned out absolutely delicious, and the rotel gave it a good little kick! I will definitely be adding this to my "make again" recipe archive.

***another idea is to use all these ingredients and stuff a burrito with them, it would be almost as good as a Moe's homewrecker!


No comments:

Post a Comment