Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thankful Series {Post 6}

     Wow it is hard to believe that Thanksgiving has come and past and that today is the last day of November!Cole and I are spending the long weekend in Columbia catching up with family and friends we haven't seen in a while. Anyways to the reason for the post, my very last Thankful Series Post!

1. I am thankful that Cole and I were able to travel home to celebrate thanksgiving with his family and my mom. For the past five years Cole's family has been kind enough to invite and include my parents in their thanksgiving dinner because my parents don't have any family close by other than me and Cole. It takes a burden off my moms back to cook a full spread of thanksgiving foods for just four people and it makes mine and Cole's thanksgiving much more enjoyable because we aren't spending half our day driving around to different thanksgiving meals. It also serves as a great way for our families to catch up. For that I am thankful.

2. I am thankful that every year we have an overflowing table of delicious thanksgiving food.  I am grateful that we are able to enjoy a feast like that, and enjoy the fellowship of family without worrying about where our next meal will come from. We are blessed to have what we have.

3. I am so, so, so thankful that I no longer work in retail. When I was in high school I worked at Target, and I loved it for the most part. I normally worked on the floor fixing shelves, helping guests or folding shirt tables. However every Black Friday I was there I was moved to the registers to help the cashiers out.

(Funny story, the first year I worked at target they decided they wanted me on the registers for Black Friday, literally the last day I was working before Black Friday they called me up to the register and seriously talked to me and showed me how to check someone out for about five minutes, then looked at me and said "get here earlier on Black Friday because you are gonna be a cashier on Black Friday" You can imagine the panic and fear that I felt as soon as I heard those words. I was convinced that all I would do was mess something up since I literally had only spent 5 minutes at a register before the doors opened at 3am that Friday.All is well though I actually did really well.)

I actually liked working Black Fridays as a cashier but I would have absolutely hated if I had to work out on the floor dealing with frenzied, crazed guest and picking up after them constantly, not to mention the poor afternoon/night workers always had to stay a hour to two hours after close fixing the floor. The worst thing about working Black Friday was having to go to bed early on Thanksgiving Day to be able to get up early enough to get to work on time Friday morning. Now the stores have the audacity to open on Thanksgiving day, which I think is a shame. The deals will still be there Friday there is no need to open the doors on Thanksgiving day. Since the stores are opening earlier and earlier I am very very thankful I no longer work in retail.

4. I am thankful that I was able to help and contribute to the thanksgiving meal this year. I love cooking so I really enjoyed making some dishes to bring to dinner with Cole's family. This year I made a pumpkin pie, turtle brownies and some delicious artichoke and olive dip. I got the artichoke and olive dip from the Pioneer Woman's blog. She has the best recipes ever!

5. I am thankful that our babies travel as well as they do. Cole loaded up the car Thanksgiving day and we rounded up our four legged babies into the Jeep and headed to Columbia. The babies did so well! They love visiting their grandparents houses so I am thankful that they are calm and easy to travel with.

Well that concludes my thankful series post, I hope you all enjoyed!

Please go like the Poppies, Puppies and Pearls on Facebook.
Feel free to follow me on twitter (@SL_Essel), instagram (@sessel91), or pinterest (just Stacey Essel there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment